Gorgeous hair doesn't just happen overnight (unless you're talking hair extensions, that's another deal). Beautiful hair takes time, and it starts from the inside, from what you eat. Read through this and then head to the grocery store to stock up your pantry with healthy hair food. After you're done with that, stop by your hairstylist to grab some product to help nourish and repair any dryness or damage your hair may be suffering from. If you stay dedicated to your mission, celeb-worthy hair will be yours in no time at all.
1. Choose The Right Foods
A healthy, well-rounded diet isn't just important for taking care of your body, it's important for growing beautiful hair and making your skin glow as well. Throw a few of these foods on your plate at dinner time and start nourishing your hair and skin.
Spinach might be one of the most amazing foods, ever. It's loaded with vitamin A, which is crucial to prevent signs of skin aging by preventing wrinkles and getting rid of dead skin cells. Get the most out of your meal by eating it with something high in vitamin C, like lemon.
- Avocado Oil
Avocado oil has a ton of vitamin A, D, and E to help even out your skin tone. It's also got omega-9 fatty acids, which are a crucial part of healthy skin.
Eggs are a great producer of sulfur, which helps to encourage the bodies absorption of healthy hair and nail builders: collagen and keratin.
- Red Bell Peppers
These have an outrageous amount of vitamin C, which is not only an anti-oxidant but a great way to help build collagen. They also help to eliminate free radicals from the body, which means a slower aging process for your skin!
- Fatty Fish
Make your skin glow by loading up on omega-3 fatty acids found in fish such as salmon, sardines, and anchovies. Choosing sardines and anchovies is an even healthier way to load up on these. Since they don't live as long (they aren't very high on the food chain) their mercury levels aren't as high so you are consuming fewer toxins.
Stock your body up on zinc, biotin, potassium, and magnesium by incorporating more oats into your diet. If your body lacks these vitamins and nutrients, your hair will become brittle and damaged (read: not cute). Make some Pinterest-worthy overnight oats and watch your hair become beautiful and strong.
1. Choosing The Right Hair Products
You'll want to talk to your hairstylist about this one, as it is dependent upon your hair type, but we'll give you some product ideas to ask him or her about before you get there.
- Dry: If your hair is excessively dry, you will want a great shampoo we like Kenra's Professional Moisturizing Shampoo and conditioner like Kenra's Professional Moisturizing Conditioner to help replenish any lost moisture and get it looking luxurious and healthy again. Depending on your level of dryness, your stylist might even recommend a deep conditioner or hair masque like Pureology's Precious Oil Softening Hair Masque.
- Damaged: Damaged hair can come from a variety of reasons, but the most common is due to chemicals, such as hair color, and heat (like your flatiron). If your hair is damaged your hairstylist will recommend the best course of action as this can be a tricky situation to deal with. In general, a good three step system will do. This means a great shampoo like PRAVANA's Nevo Moisture Rich Sulfate-Free Shampoo, conditioner like PRAVANA's Nevo Reparative Conditioner, and deep conditioner like PRAVANA's Nevo 60 Second Deep Treatment. It's important to use high-quality products on damaged hair, without them your hair will never look thick, full, and beautiful. You also want to make sure you aren't going overboard on the heat products unless you are using PRAVANA's Nevo Invisible Control Heat-Activated Thermal Protectant.
Choosing the Right Skin Products
Whether you suffer from oily skin, dry skin, or acne, there are products out there to help you achieve beautiful skin.
- Oily Skin: Overactive sebaceous glands? Use a good product to help cut back on oil. You want to make sure you aren't drying your skin out too much, which is a common mistake that people with oily skin make. The dryer your skin is, the more it will tell your body to start producing more oil. It just turns into a greasy battle that you don't want to fight.
- Dry Skin: Uncomfortable and frustrating, dry skin lacks serious moisture. Invest in a good product to help moisturize and replenish your skin.
- Acne: While many people believe that acne is something only teens suffer from, it's actually quite common into adulthood. Using a good acne fighting product is the best way to go about reducing your acne. Still isn't working? Speak to your aesthetician or dermatologist for more recommendations.
Most hair issues are remedied through proper diet and high-quality products. Whether your hair is dry, damaged, or just not full enough, there is usually something that can be done about it right at the dinner table. Make sure you keep a great relationship with your hairstylist, who will be your go-to information source for all things beauty and will take your hair from drab, to celeb-worthy fab.