Recently, I came across a TikTok video discussing the top 10 worst shampoos that can potentially lead to cancer. The video listed a number of shampoos and conditioners that contain harmful chemicals, including dioxane and ethylene.
Dioxane is a chemical that's commonly used as a solvent in personal care products, while ethylene is sometimes used as a surfactant in shampoos and conditioners. Both chemicals have been linked to potential health risks, including cancer. Some of these popular brand names will shock you! Even certain high-end brands are not suitable for your hair care routine. This is why it is important to find products known to have clean ingredients and are cruelty free. Luckily, we have plenty of options here at The Warehouse Salon, simply call or message us on Instagram @thewarehouse.salon or my personal page @themanebri for suggestions or guidance!
The Tiktok was made by a former Chemist, check out her TikTok @kalibbeauty. here is the link to her TikTok Video: Top 20 shampoos you need to throw out right now #badshampoos #shampoos... | TikTok.
The shampoos mentioned in the TikTok video include:
- Aussie Curl Miracle Shampoo ( We all knew that was coming!)
- Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo (This one was lowkey a shocker!)
- Deva Curl No Poo and Low Poo Original (Have you seen the lawsuits??)
- Dove Daily Moisture Shampoo
- Body Works Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
- Vitalizing Garlic and Capixel Shampoo
- Finesse 2 in 1 Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner
- Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Toning Shampoo ( Who even is she?, never heard of her but don't buy it.)
- Got 2B Phenomenal Thickening Shampoo
- It's a 10 Miracle Shampoo Plus Keratin (Darling it was never that great to begin with)
- Keratin Complex Color Smoothing Shampoo (But isn't this a professional brand??? Yes but you heard it here, may not be a great option.)
- Kristin Ess Extra Gentle Shampoo (But that one is at Target it's one of the most bought lines, well I think you should reconsider honey.)
- Leonor Greyl Gentle Dandruff Shampoo
- Maui Color Protection and Sea Minerals Shampoo
- Nature Lab Tokyo Repair Shampoo
- Nexxus Therappe Ultimate Moisture Shampoo
- OGX Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo (Sorry never liked it anyway, now I just hate it more).
- Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo (I know crazy right? I was devastated to hear this)
While it's important to note that the risk of harm from these chemicals is generally considered to be low, it's still concerning to have potentially toxic chemicals in our hair care products. As a hairstylist, my top priority is to choose the best products for my clients that will promote healthy hair and scalp, while minimizing the risk of potential harm from harmful chemicals. Even if you have touching getting assistance from a professional, make sure to do your research on ingredients to help you on your hair journey. You can refer to my blog called Which Ingredients to Avoid In Your Shampoo.
Here are a coupple of other blogs that can help you find the right hair products, specified to you!
In conclusion, it's always a good idea to be mindful of the ingredients in the products that we use on our hair and bodies, and to choose products that are free from harsh chemicals and made with natural, plant-based ingredients whenever possible. If you have any concerns about the products that you're using, it's best to consult with a healthcare professional.